To us a good briefing is the basis for good and solution-oriented cooperation. And it is the “base station” of strategic planning. Once we have the actual situation and your goals defined, we analyze the role-specific requirements and create use cases with all technical system requirements.
At a glance the requirements analysis includes:
- Illustration of the overall process
- Design of the user interface
- Registration and application processes
- User-specific tools and sites
- Dependencies software applications
- Outlook Extensions
- Testing and planning
- Integration of technologies
- Fields and forms
A schedule, including a basic concept, is derived from the analysis. We calculate a proposition that provides customers with a first decision basis.
This task analysis is done with at least one of our project managers and web developers in coordination with the customer. The result is a highly detailed document that describes the technological foundation, the procedure of project implementation, the subsequent operation and custom web applications.
Although the process of the requirements analysis sounds easy, this task constitutes an open and intensive discussion, considerable experience, understanding of modern web technologies and a dynamic spirit that is capable of rendering the customer requirements into functional solutions.
Essential elements of a requirements analysis include:
Illustration of the overall process
- The primary objectives of the project
- Who, how, what - individual steps, priorities have to be defined
- How does the input get processed and what output is to be achieved?
Designing of the user interface
- What kind of user participation is provided for?
- How can the user be guided through the different steps without a tedious interface?
Registration and Application Processes
- Should users get access permissions and how are these managed?
- Are payment systems to be integrated with multiple vendors, allowing users online payments?
User-specific Tools and Sites
- A precise, documented requirements analysis is even more important for projects where users with different purposes are to be serviced through one user interface.
- In this case individually programmed and customized solutions are the best choice.
Dependencies in the Development of Software Applications
- If APIs or RSS feeds are supposed to provide information content on a web page from various sources, then different scenarios must be taken into account. Such as what happens if at some point no information is accessible.
- Each software has some room for new features. Possible extensions are ideally already listed in the requirements analysis.
- Therefore the required scalability is embedded into the core of the database structure and architecture of the page at an early stage.
- Complete conversion won’t be necessary to continue to adding more features.
- Significant intermediate stages and milestones are agreed upon.
- Facilitates subsequent development in detail.
Testing and Planning
- Time of bug identification is determined.
- Access will be given to users only after a trial period and review.
Integration of Technologies
Here, the analysis is concerned with the technologies required for programming and design.
- Which scripting language should be used on the server side: PHP, NET, Perl, ASP, JS, Ruby, Python.
- Database server for websites and user-generated contents: MySQL, MS SQL server?
- Which design software should be used: Photoshop, Flash, etc.?
- Compatibility with what equipment is provided: Browser, PC monitor, smartphone, etc.?
- Configuration and platform of the operating system on which the project or the site is hosted.
Fields and Forms
- What information should be queried in fields or forms?
- Mandatory and optional fields, automatic calculations
- Should the application be limited to a local network?
- Is a launch in a live environment desired?